NAMI Basics Now Offered Online
• We know that parenting can often feel like juggling 10 balls at once. That’s why we are now offering NAMI Basics, our education program for parents and caregivers of youth experiencing symptoms of a mental health condition, online for FREE! Sign up at basics.nami.org
• NAMI Basics is a free, six-session education program for parents, caregivers and other family who provide
care for youth (age 22 or younger) who are experiencing mental health symptoms.
• Since 2009, NAMI Basics has been offered by NAMI Affiliates in an in-person, group setting.
• To meet increasing demand for more convenient access to the program, NAMI created NAMI Basics
OnDemand, which is offered online and available 24/7.
• Just like the in-person format, NAMI Basics OnDemand is free and helps parents and caregivers:
- Develop confidence and stamina to support their child with compassion
- Learn about different types of mental health care professionals, available treatment options and
- Prepare for crisis situations, and understand how to navigate the public mental health care, school and juvenile justice systems
The program is divided into six sessions, including:
- Basic elements of coping with mental health conditions
- Brain biology and getting a diagnosis
- Communication skills and crisis preparation
- Treatment and connecting with others by sharing your story
- Navigating the mental health and education systems
- Self-care and advocacy
- To register for NAMI Basics OnDemand, go to: https://basics.nami.org